The second of my "Garies" started traditionally, as a ship hull inverted and rotated backwards. A jet nose flanked with some engine fairing halves became the back. I slapped an F-14 upper fuselage to the bottom and left it pretty much unadorned. Up until then it was the most fun I'd had with a gary because the parts sort of fell together. That is, I found parts that just fit, with very little modification.
This was the fifth Gary to get painted. I didn't want to risk ruining it by creating panels of slightly different colors everywhere, so instead, I painted an upper mantle and engines in different colors. Decal stripes were easier to apply than masking and painting stripes.