White Tiger

top front front corner left aft corner left front corner right side aft center aft corner right bottom front corner left low front corner left right side side corner top basic bottom basic top nude aft nude bottom nude top camouflage unweathered top
Return to
2008 Menu

Back in August one of the denizens of the Starshipmodeler boards, "puddingwrestler", built a very attractive space-going tractor-trailer. When I first saw it only the tractor part was built, but I was immediately drawn to it as it was an Awtoe - A spaceship made from a car model. I found the inspiration irresistable.

But I wanted mine to be a little more difficult, so I started with a 1/48th scale F-14. In particular, the rear third, flanked by the air-intakes, and the whole thing flipped upside-down and backwards. The last major component was a triangular cross-section... "Shape", one of many parts I got from an estate sale. I used it because it had the same angle as the remaining fins on the rest of the engines. Because I was trying to work quickly I super-glued it on, then realised that one corner was farther forward than the other. Had it not been thus uneven I would have quit right there, but now I had to add more parts to the top to disguise the flaw.

Pudding Wrestler's trailer was two sections of plumbing pipe, glued together and the joint plated-over. I used a Canon toner cartridge, one of several plastic parts given me by my best friends over the years. Before even thinking about detailing the tractor I had to build the interface between the tractor and the trailer. At this point something bothered me about the proportions - For a cargoe-pod-hauler, the tractor was too big for the trailer. I ignored my misgivings and modeled-on, a mistake when trying to work intuitively. When I was all but finished with both tractor and trailer I decided I really didn't like the two together, so the tractor became a fighter and the trailer got a new tractor. And this became a ground fighter.

Well. Now we have to add some guns. Lotsa guns. And blank areas in the back and the bottom, leftover from when it was going to be a tug. Again, like the Stinger, too much left no room for chunks of a solid color. Darn. With a universe of colors, I hate doing two ships in the same color in the same year. Still, it's a millitary ship, so it calls for green or tan, and I've already got a bunch of green ships. So I did the whole thing in Desert Tan, and compared it to the Stinger. Whew - Completely different!

Despite being a military ship, I wanted some color on it. Which means either bright letters or bright camouflage, so I went for camouflage - Rust-colored splotches. I took it and several other ships to Career Day at D. McRea Elementary School. The fifth-graders there got a big kick out of contemplating a world where red splotches on dark tan is camouflage.

All in all, I like how it came out, though I may tone-down that dry-brushed grey. (And I did.) I also noticed that my barely-dark wash got darker the jar after just a couple of months. Need to remember to add more Future Floor Wax to the mix next time.